About Me

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Show Me the Way

Over the years, I've often teased my 20 year older husband about his taste in music, and one night not long ago when I had to borrow his iPod was no exception.  As I headed out to the fitness room, I playfully poked at what I might hear when I turned it on, never dreaming that what I heard would be the inspiration for what I now write.  As I listened to Styx when they came up in the queue, I found myself not only smiling, but also senselessly singing along - at least until I remembered there were other people in the room.  Most intriguing to me as the words rolled across my tongue was the lyrical parallel to my life as I frequently find myself asking God to show me the way.  I am ever aware of my weaknesses, especially my internal navigation system for the future, which seems to recalculate on every whim.  More than once I've messed things up, gotten ahead of God, and fallen because of it all, but at a time in my walk with Him when I feel strong in my faith and discerning of His voice, I recently found myself feeling dejected over my ceaseless questioning regarding days ahead. It was in this low moment, however, that He gently reminded me that the day I stop asking Him to show me the way is the day I'll actually lose my way.

Though some see a continual dependence on God as a sign of weakness or brokenness, the Bible clearly tells us something different.  Paul, for instance, said that he delighted in his weaknesses, for when he was weak, then he was strong (2 Corinthians 12:10),  but to be clear, what he's really saying is that when he's weak, Christ in Him is then strong (v. 9).  God told Paul in the preceding verse that "my power is made perfect in weakness" (v. 9), so you see - dependance on God isn't a sign of weakness, but of strength and power. His strength and power.  God doesn't inhabit the the strong and proud and self-sufficient man or woman who doesn't believe they need Him; He indwells the sinner who knows his weakness without Him.

1 Corinthians 1:27 says it like this: "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong," so if you find yourself always asking God to show you the way, don't despair. Rejoice! The greatest saints in history aren't those who lived independently of God, acknowledging Him only when they needed something; no, the greatest saints are the ones who lived sold out for His cause and recognized their broken state without Him.  Jesus said in John 15:5 that "I am the vine, you are the branches.  He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing," and those closest to the heart of God knew this then and know it today.  A 24/7 need for God's presence is not indicative of problematic dependance, but of a close relationship between Father and child.  Like David, who was a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22), we must recognize our utter frailty outside of His providence.  David got this.  He knew he was nothing apart from God and even penned such sentiments many times throughout the psalms.  In Psalm 16:2, for example, he wrote "My goodness is nothing apart from you," and in Psalm 18:32, he said: "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."  David was a great king and warrior, not because of the hundreds slain, but because he knew the power in asking God to show him the way.
whispersfortheheart.wordpress.com


Whatever you're facing today, don't be too proud to take it to God.  We are told in 1 Peter 5:5 that "God resists the proud, but gives grace (favor) to the humble," so if, like David, you will humble yourself before Him, He will hear you and help you (2 Chronicles 7:14).  James 4:10 says this: "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up," though I really like the Message translation: "Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet."  Let me ask you - when was the last time you got down on your knees before the throne of God and prayed? Or, is the floor too uncomfortable?  We all have a different journey, but I can tell you this - not one of my life's major breakthroughs happened until after I was literally brought to my knees in prayer.  If you haven't known brokenness that took you there, then go there to simply thank God for your blessings.  On the other hand, if you're faced with a difficult decision, health concern, addiction, or temptation, I encourage you to bow down and humbly ask for guidance. Isaiah 65:24 assures us of this: "Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear."  He knows your needs, but until you ask Him to show you the way, you'll continue to flounder like a fish out of water.  He has the solution.  Just ask Him to show you the way.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1o6DiogDM


"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

1 comment:

  1. Heather,You bring light into an area we all struggle with. I am so inspired by your thoughts,words and use of scripture to support how God works in our lives when we let Him. I love the song you chose, so perfect. So inspiring, sister!!!

    ReplyDelete